Showing 1 - 25 of 2,291 comments
There’s also some indication that the Ravinia Theater showed movies for a time.
The Pearl seated 720. The 1912 Sanborn map shows a small nickelodeon on the second floor of a building at 15 (Later 515) Central. The 1918 Sanborn Maps show the Pearl open, the 515 Central theater closed, and another, vacant theater next door seating 448 at 519 Central (this being the Highland Park). Between 1918-1924, a stage was added to the Pearl.
So, the Alcyon was actually the fourth theater in HP.
William Pearl operated the Highland Park theater from ~1910-1917 (no CT listing). The Pearl opened in August 1917, architect William D. Mann, and seated about 700.
It did reopen about 1937-1942, showing talkies.
Upon opening, the Alcyon was operated by Louis Laemmle, brother of Carl Laemmle, founder of Universal Pictures, who had a small circuit. In 1932, it was operated by Johnny Jones of Jones, Linick, and Shaefer, then in 1933 by the Orchard Theatre Company, before going back to William Pearl
William T. Hooper was architect and F.W. Janisch the structural engineer. Hooper and Janisch did not do much theatrical work.
Jay, scroll up on this page, click Illinois, then click “Demolished” below the map on that page.
The Alamo opened in early September 1926 for the Lynch circuit, which was under Balaban & Katz/Lubliner & Trinz control. It was planned under the name “Vogue Theater” but opened as Alamo. Architects were Hooper & Janisch and the theater had a three manual Kilgen organ. It was remodeled in 1938 to plans by Roy B. Blass, with a new White Way marquee, stainless steel front, black granite corners, and a new managers office. In 1952, owner Arthur Sass alleged that B&K had strongarmed him into giving them a 25% interest, threatening to build a competing theater across the street and shutting him out of product if he did not comply.
I would guess that would probably be a few spots at a small auto-repair type garage in the area, not a parking ramp like you might picture.
that would be http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/united-states/illinois?status=closed
Uploaded a photo of the auditorium. Looks like this was one of Ascher’s oddball “cornerwise” theaters, with the screen off in a corner.
This might be it: http://archive.org/stream/motography56elec#page/192/mode/2up
This would have been on Garfield Blvd/55th, not 55th Place. Historic Aerials show that it stood until at least 1972. It seems to have operated as a series of dance halls and bars after closing as a theater, most notably the Rhumboogie Cafe.
They never had 5. That was probably two films sharing the same screen.
The Hippodrome/Atlas must have been a very minor theatre on the site prior to the West Englewood, which was almost certainly built from scratch.
http://archive.org/stream/motionpicturenew23moti_7#page/3076/mode/2up has a nice section on the opening of the Roosevelt.
Queen Recreation lasted until at least 1962.
The Columbus was noted for its diagonal auditorium, with the screen in one corner, similar to the Town/Park West. After the Columbus was closed in 1926 in favor of Ascher’s West Englewood, the building was remodeled into Queen Recreation Parlor, three floors of billiards & bowling.
The lobby storefront and theater are currently available for lease.
This must be one of the oldest theaters in Chicago still standing.
Sam Katz, of Balaban & Katz, was one of the early operators of the Avon.
This should be 1656 W Roosevelt Road (12th Street), not Place.
The 5 year old Bismark theater on the same site was razed in 1916 to build the Armitage.