Comments from chitchatjf

chitchatjf commented about Route 3 Cinema City on Sep 28, 2014 at 1:50 pm

At its peak there were 8 screens

chitchatjf
chitchatjf commented about Cabot Street Cinema Theatre on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:11 am

Now closed

chitchatjf commented about Coolidge Corner Theatre on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:11 pm

A membership for me would not be practical due to the fact I would have to travel 2 hours each way to get to the cinema. I was able to go there for the American Hustle preview screening last month. I was sort of disappointed that not only the director appearance was in the screen as opposed to in person, the performance was recorded the preceding evening a far cry from my dream of the event the prior evening which featured an in person appearance by Jennifer Lawrence. The evening was still enjoyable and worth the trip. I was quite impressed in how the curtain opened just at the start.

I was also disappointed that the Sundance screening would be of a documentary as opposed to a Comedy or drama film. Had it not been the Bulger film I would have gotten tickets.

chitchatjf commented about AMC Chestnut Hill 5 on Dec 25, 2012 at 9:09 am

Nei8ther article officially said the AMC was going to close. I foresee it becoming an art house.

chitchatjf
chitchatjf commented about Tempur-Pedic IMAX 3D Theater at Jordan's Furniture on Sep 13, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Warning Jordan’s is going digital.

chitchatjf commented about Showcase Cinemas 7-14 on Oct 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm

NOW ALL Digital too!

chitchatjf commented about AMC Loews Methuen 20 on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm

now ALL DLP (as of Friday)

chitchatjf commented about AMC Loews Methuen 20 on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:01 am

Now 19 down 1 to go

chitchatjf commented about Route 3 Cinema City on Jul 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm

The theater stayed open till mid 1998,a few months after the Lowell Showcase opened. Even with a $3.50 bargain night,it could not compete despite showing many of the same films.

chitchatjf commented about Showcase Cinemas 7-14 on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm

DLP update 3 down 5 to go

chitchatjf commented about AMC Loews Methuen 20 on Jul 10, 2011 at 10:12 pm

DLP update 10 down 10 to go

chitchatjf commented about Salem Tri Cinema on Feb 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

This theater had three auditoriums. Cinema 1 had 140 seats and was all in blue. Cinema 2 the large one had a total of 300 seats and was all in red (not too unlike the AMC/Lowes theaters in Methuen,and the third screen had a mere 100 seats and was all in yellow.

It originally opened with a $2.25 night admission with 75 cents for children and matinees.

The Merrimac Valley Christan film festival started here in 93.

chitchatjf commented about Showcase Cinemas Lowell on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm

ALL DLP now!

chitchatjf commented about Showcase Cinemas Revere on Oct 21, 2010 at 7:59 am

Looks like ALL digital now!

chitchatjf commented about Chunky's Cinema Pub on Sep 15, 2010 at 11:58 am

Going ALL DLP! I may return to this place to check it out afterwords.

chitchatjf commented about Lawrence Opera House on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Grants actually stayed in downtown Lawrence until 1976.

chitchatjf commented about Copley Place Cinemas on Apr 21, 2010 at 10:32 am

A crappy cinema that showed good films.

chitchatjf
chitchatjf commented about Critic thinks movie intermissions should be revived on Apr 20, 2010 at 7:58 am

I would like to see double features. :)

chitchatjf commented about Coolidge Corner Theatre on Apr 11, 2010 at 9:58 am

I had never been here until yesterday.
This is a fantastic theater.

chitchatjf commented about Showcase Cinemas 7-14 on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:56 am

The original 5-8 opened on October 16, 1981

chitchatjf
chitchatjf commented about AMC Loews Boston Common 19 on Mar 30, 2010 at 10:13 am

From experience I can honestly say when you sit up front the IMAX effect is sort of intact on the IMAX digital screens.

However they have raised the prices even MORE! $17.50 at night for 3D compared to $11.50 at Jordan’s and $12.95 at the Aquarium

chitchatjf
chitchatjf commented about Price increases for 3-D movies in effect today on Mar 28, 2010 at 10:04 am

$13 for an AM matinee? I’ll more likely switch to the $6 2D screen.

chitchatjf commented about Warner Theatre on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm

It was actually demolished to make way for a parking lot for the bank located next to it.
Essex Savings then Sovereign today

chitchatjf commented about Best movie of the decade? on Dec 30, 2009 at 4:05 pm

My top 20 films of the decade:
1 Star Wars Episode 3
2 Star Trek (2009)
3 Across the Universe
4 Untitled (Almost Famous)
5 Spiderman 3
6 Adventureland
7 Spiderman 2
8 Star Wars Episode 2
9 The Dark Knight
10 Spiderman
11 Bend it like Beckham
12 The Boat that Rocked! (Pirate Radio)
13 Thirteen

HM Clerks 2
HM Levity
HM Mamma Mia
HM Polar Express
HM School of Rock

chitchatjf commented about Harvard Square Theatre on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I can now say I have seen at least one film in each of the 5 auditoriums in this complex.
cinemas 4 and 5 are generally closets mainly to be avoided.
cinema 3 now has DLP capacity.