Photos favorited by Jeffrey1955

  • <p>November 1949 grand opening ad</p>
  • <p>New restroom sinks</p>
  • <p>This picture was taken around 2000 after Cineplex made a seven-plex. There were six 35MM Simplex X-L projectors and one 35/70 X-L. All seven projectors were served by Potts platters. We ran 70 MM just twice: Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom and Far and Away.</p>
              <p>It took 25 minutes to convert format from 35 to 70 MM and involved changing the gate and trap of the head and inserting a 70 MM “brain,” or speed control plate into the platter hubs. The sprockets had both 70 and 35 MM teeth and the idlers had sliding rollers to widen their grip. A separate “flat” or spherical lens was inserted to project a gorgeous image onto Theatre 4’s mammoth screen that closely paralleled the position of the original 1952 single, building-wide Cinemascope screen.</p>
              <p>Unfortunately, 70 MM died out and the 35 MM image on the big screen was dark and unsharp because of the short throw and inefficient wide angle lens, especially when showing 1.85 flat.</p>
  • <p>This was taken after the Meadows reopened as a sevenplex by Cineplex Odeon.</p>
  • <p>The cinder block elevator shaft is on the left, so the view is of Cinema 5 and Cinema 2 directly below it. The front wall of Cinema 5 is in the middle with cutouts for observation and projection ports. Worker leans over at upper left.</p>
  • <p>The old jumbo MEADOWS A, D & O are visible. Bagel Nosh replaced Horn & Hardart and was in turn replaced by the Future Diner wher Bill Clinton once campaigned.</p>
  • <ol>