Showing 1 - 25 of 116 comments
BROADWAY THEATRE is carved into the facade of the building, above the columns (or pillars). Take notice that the spelling is THEATRE, not theater.
No, the Broadway did not close in 1959. But if it was closed and demolished in 1971, the last picture show at the Broadway could not have been “Charlotte’s Web” as the film was not released until February 22, 1973 (New York City).
The Cinema Treasures overview says the theater opened in 1920. The PAB site lists the theater as being built in 1923. Can anyone explain the discrepancy? The PAB site also lists additions/alterations in 1927-1928 but they are not explained..
The drive-in opened on May 17th 1868 with “The Sand Pebbles” (starring Steve McQueen). The film had been released on December 20th 1966 — a year and five months earlier — so would this be considered a subsequent run theater?
The drive-in closed on September 28th 1987. Although the screen remained until at least 1995, the property has since been redeveloped.
Does anyone have a photo of the Dante between 1937 —– 1962? Please share. Thanks!
Thank you TheaterBluff1 for the history lesson and your lecture on morality. Also for your insight on what Dr. King would have to say if he were here today.
Uh—Oh?! The link that TheaterBluff references by Inga Saffron about the all new Pearl Theater @ Avenue North (http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/16386709.htm)is no longer available on philly.com. As so often happens, comments on Cinema Treasures often outlive the links that are referenced. When this occurs, the link portion of the comment should be deleted by the author.
Let’s emphasize how hideous those two giant electronic billboards are! Give them to SEPTA. They seem to like those things. Give the Pearl Theatre a classic marquee with chase lights!
Was this the grand opening in 1922? On the marquee —– WILLIAM FOX PRESENTS JOHN GILBERT IN “GLEAM O'DAWN.” John Gilbert (1897-1936) and Barbara Bedford (1903-1981) starred and the film, in b&w and silent, was released by Fox Film Corp. on Sunday, January 8, 1922. Does anyone know if this was, in fact, the opening?
According to PAB, this theater was built in 1922 and renovated in 1951. It did not close in 1955. It was closed in the early 1960’s according to Bryan.
This theater was remodeled in 1936 by William Harold Lee, but who was the original 1916 architect? PAB lists the seating for this theater as 550, while Cinema Treasures lists it at 497. The 1936 remodel could have resulted in a decrease, or increase. Can anyone clarify?
Neighboring Bell Telephone, now Verizon, has expanded onto the theater site.
Since the photo shown above is incorrect, does anyone have a photo of the Bartram Theatre? Also, in what style was the Bartram?
The Bartram Theatre opened in the silent movie era of 1914 with 494 seats. Located in the Kingsessing neighborhood of Southwest Philadelphia, the theater was designed by Philadelphia architect Leroy Berman Rothschild, AIA (1886—1935). Mr. Rothschild also designed the Sylvania Hotel (now condominiums) at 1324 Locust Street and office buildings (now luxury apartments) at 1600 Walnut Street and 1700 Walnut Street in Philadelphia.
The building shown was not the Bartram Theatre. The overview should show the theatre as demolished rather than closed. Also, PAB shows the theatre as Bartram THEATRE, not THEATER.
I’ve made these comments before but they are worth repeating here. The Orleans was a prefabricated monstrosity from the day it opened! Any qualities this theater may have had were destroyed when the auditorium was split down the middle! Building four auditoriums to the back of a grocery store was just ridiculous. With no real plan, it seems that the prevailing attitude was — let’s shove these wherever they’ll fit — no architect needed! During the demolition, I thought, good riddance you pile of rubble! There are great memories and there were great times, but people create those, not the building.
The overview and PAB both lists this theater with 954 seats. Frank claims the theater seated 1,100 (on one floor). Alterations in 1927 by Chicago theater designer John Eberson, AIA (1875—1954) could be the reason for this discrepancy but clarification is needed. And since this theater opened in 1910, can anyone share anything about its vaudeville days? Also, in what style was this theater designed? Thanks!
By the 1960’s the theater had been converted to retail use and as of January 2014, Titan Industrial Supply Co. occupied the building.
A discrepancy seems to exist regarding the number of seats that the Grand Theater had. The overview states the Grand had 949 seats. Howard believes there were 850 seats. Could this reduction have occurred during Wm. H. Lee’s 1930’s renovation or during another period?
Does anyone know what make and model theater organ was installed in this theater and when?
Today The Woodcraft Industry Inc. occupies this location (624 Moore Street) but somewhere among this mismatch of buildings was the 300 seat Becker Theater, a silent era movie house operated by the Becker Brothers. Louis Fein was the architect and the theater existed from 1905 to 1927. There were alterations to the theater in 1913.
When Julius J. Anderson, a Philadelphia architect and engineer, designed the Alhambra Theatre, he was in partnership with Max Haupt as Anderson & Haupt. Construction was by Smith & Hardican. More information is needed about this theater. Please share if you can!
The Lindy was Philadelphia’s first semi-atmospheric theatre. The Circle Theatre, in Frankford, was Philadelphia’s only true atmospheric theatre, although it would not open until the following year, 1929. The Circle was designed by William Harold Lee, AIA (1884—1971) of Philadelphia.
Isn’t this small photo copyrighted?
This theatre is listed as demolished. It is not! Today it is a church — Celestial Church Of Christ.
After closing as a theatre, the building served as a union hall for a time. Today it’s a church. The exact address is 7030-34 Elmwood Avenue — Philadelphia PA 19142. Does anyone have a photo of this theatre when it was open? Any other info? Architect, style, operator? Please share.
The Cheltenham Theatre, seating 1,500, opened with a single-screen in 1961 with Walt Disney’s “The Parent Trap” starring Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith. The mammoth pearl-coated movie screen, at 60' x 25', was one of the largest in the world. The projection room was equipped for standard 35mm motion pictures, wide-screen or CinemaScope, and 70mm films. It was also equipped with six-channel stereophonic sound. The Cheltenham Theatre wouldn’t be twinned until its acquisition by Budco Theatres in 1984. AMC Cinemas (now AMC Theatres) acquired Budco and the Cheltenham Theatre on December 31, 1986 and closed it almost immediately. It has since been demolished.
Source: Box Office Magazine — February 12, 1962 — Pages 42-43.
Note: Since the article that this information was extracted from appeared on February 12, 1962, it would not have been possible for the “Grand Opening” of this theater to have occurred on December 31, 1962!