Savoy Cinema Superb
Saturday 3 August 1929 Burnley News: the Savoy’s Western Electric apparatus has arrived in very public style. At the licencing magistrates' hearing in July, the Savoy’s owners applied for consent to alterations. The projection room, at the rear of the stalls was to be enlarged by building a concrete base part-way into the foyer, on which would be masonry walls and a concrete roof for fire-proofing. Behind the screen a horn chamber, triangular in footprint, was to be erected in brick and steel. The owners did not want to bring the proscenium forward to accommodate the speakers; and they wanted the speakers behind the screen to “maintain the illusion”. At the time of the hearing, the work was already in progress! Work was done at weekends.
No one has favorited this photo yet