The early 1950s photograph on the left shows that two theatres, the Empire (then a cinema) and the Victoria, shared entrances in the same Victorian building on St James' Street. The photograph on the right is a November 2012 streetview.
The Victoria opened in 1886; the Empire in 1894.
The building on St James St and the Victoria were demolished in 1955. Woolworth’s extended their premises on to the site of the Victoria’s entrance (behind the bus shelter in the right photo); and the Empire erected a rather shabby low rise entrance to the passage-way/foyer to the theatre at the back of the site.
No one has favorited this photo yet