Hoyts Astor Burwood
March 30, 2015
Date time original:
Identified by Kevin Adams
No one has favorited this photo yet
As the signage implies, the Burwood Cinema opened in 1920. It continued screening films after the Palatial opened nearby in 1921, but was increasingly used for other purposes as well: roller skating, live theatre, political rallies and dancing – as the ‘Burwood Palais’. This photo – from September 1934 – shows the southern side wall at right, which was the only part of the building used in constructing the Astor on the site two years later.