Strand Theatre 167 Liverpool Street, Hobart, TAS

Uploaded By

Tiny film

Featured Theater

Odeon Theatre

Odeon Theatre

Hobart, AU

More Photos

Photo Info

Uploaded on: April 3, 2021

Size: 721.5 KB

Views: 62

License: By

Strand Theatre 167 Liverpool Street, Hobart, TAS

Strand Theatre 167 Liverpool Street, Hobart, TAS

PHOTO - Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office

Located on the corner of Liverpool Street and Watchorn Street. The Strand Theatre was opened May 21, 1916 by the Cooper Bros. It was the only cinema in Tasmania to be equipped with a Wurlitzer organ, this one being 2Manual/6Ranks. The Strand Theatre was re-modelled in 1929 when it was taken over by Union Theatres and the Wurlitzer was played by Sydney based organist Manny Aarons.

In 1956 it was re-modeled again when it was operated by Greater Union Theatres and was re-named Odeon Theatre. The Odeon Theatre was closed as a cinema in November 1970.

Contributed by Greg Lynch -

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment