Electra Cinema

Uploaded By

Tiny HJHill

Featured Theater

Electra Cinema

Electra Cinema

Rotherham, GB

More Photos

Photo Info

Uploaded on: November 30, 2013

Size: 776.1 KB

Views: 650

License: By

Electra Cinema

This April 1926 photograph shows the Electra (Palace) on Aldwarke Road near its junction at which Broad Street becomes Rawmarsh Hill (now the A633). The Travellers public house, at the junction, and the Miners' Institute, along Broad Street to the right, are still there as landmarks. The end of Aldwarke Road is pedestrianised and traffic cannot access the junction.

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

Comments (1)

HJHill
HJHill on November 30, 2013 at 12:27 pm

This really is an enigmatic cinema.

The Kinematograph Year Book (KYB) 1914 lists it as the Electric Palace in Rotherham with 1000 seats and operated by Parkgate & Denaby Electric Theatres Ltd.

KYB 1931 lists it as the Electra Palace in Parkgate operated by Heeley & Amalgamated Cinemas Ltd and wired for sound.

KYB 1942 and 1947 call it the Electra in Rotherham, indicating Parkgate area, and (in 1947) still run by Heeley & Amalgamated Cinemas with 714 seats.

KYB 1954 calls it the Electra, but now listed under Rawmarsh with the Aldwarke Road address; ownership and seating are the same as before.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment