Evergreen Drive-In

309 Drive-In Lane,
Mount Pleasant, PA 15666

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Evergreen Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Evergreen Drive-In opened in 1947 as the Ruthhorne Drive-In with a single screen and parking for 300 cars. It was located south of Mt. Pleasant near Scottdale.

By 1955 the name had changed to the Evergreen Drive-In. Two more screens were added around 2002.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 7, 2007 at 8:07 pm

Here is an ad from July 1949. Note the alternate spelling for Ruth Horne:

EVERGREEN DRIVE-IN THEATER
2 Miles South of Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant-Connellsville Road

(Formerly Ruthorn Drive-In Theatre)
TONIGHT and TOMORROW

“THE OTHER LOVE"
With Barbara Stanwyck and David Niven

CARTOON AND SHORT

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 5, 2009 at 9:08 pm

This is from Boxoffice magazine in April 1962:

Homer and Rita Michael returned to the theater business when they reopened the Evergreen Drive-In in the Mount Pleasant-Scottsdale area. They acquired the drive-in from Mrs. Donald Ruth, widow of the original owner who managed this ozoner last year.

The Michaels, former operators of the Liberty Theater on Pittsburgh’s south side, have modernized the Evergreen, first with a complete fresh paint job, including screen resurfacing, and also with installation of new in-car speakers. The concession building, with various new features and equipment, has been turned into a self-service operation under management of Rita Michael.

Chris1982
Chris1982 on October 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm

From a history page: The Evergreen Drive-In originally opened on June 19, 1947 as the Ruthorn Drive-In. It was built by Donald J. Ruth, owner of Ruth Lumber and Builders Supplies of Scottdale, Pa.
The Drive-In was renamed the Evergreen Drive-In sometime in 1949.
In 1961 the theatre was sold to the Michael’s family of Pittsburgh, Pa. The Michael’s family owned and operated the theatre until 1998. In 1999 the theatre was purchased by Warren Theatres. In the fall of 2001 two new screens were added and in 2002 the drive-in opened as a first run 3 screen theatre. The Warren family has been in the drive in business since 1949 The Evergreen has made the conversion to digital projection.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater