South Loop Drive-In

3142 E. Ledbetter Drive,
Dallas, TX 75216

675 cars

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 10 comments

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on October 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm

The South Loop Drive-In was a $150,000 drive-in architected by Harvey A. Jordon constructed for Charles H. Brooks that opened March 30, 1950 with “On the Town”. The original screen tower of the South Loop Drive-In had a Snow White mural. According to all reports, special permission was obtained from Walt Disney to use Snow White on the tower. Wings were added to the sides of the tower to play CinemaScope titles. The 675-car capable drive-in would become part of the Isadore B. Adelman Theatre Circuit in which it remained until its closure. The Adelman Circuit was more known for its indoor Delman theaters in Dallas, Houston, and Tulsa but had a good run with the South Loop. Each Saturday, the theater presented a “freeview” which was only free to patrons who paid for the first show; most other drive-in theaters referred to this as the “second feature.” The theater changed to a more traditional, double feature policy.

Amenities included free self-serve car washes while you waited in line. A water drainage and 90-gallon well ensured that the water would be reused. A 200-seat area was constructed for walk-ins in front of the concession stand and another 200-seat area was at the base of the the screen tower. High winds threatened the 60-foot high screen in 1954 so the tower was strengthened 75% according to the owners. But on August 30, 1956, the original tower and its telephone pole structure was blown over. in September 1956, the original was replaced with new signage and a steel-framed tower with Selby screen. The theater stopped advertising after the 10-26-1968 showings of Shenandoah and War Wagon likely closing for the season and not reopening for the spring. There appear to be no further bookings for the location.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on May 24, 2010 at 8:47 pm

it parked 675 cars and was owned in 1956 by H.Brooks.

Silicon Sam
Silicon Sam on May 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm

This address will take you to the correct spot.

3142 E. Ledbetter Dr., Dallas, TX 75216 United States

Here’s a 1972 view, since the address in the header is off.

http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=11227

DonLewis
DonLewis on May 23, 2010 at 6:56 pm

From 1963 a Dallas Area drive in theater ad.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on March 18, 2010 at 12:53 am

Nice photo LarryFM.

LarryFM
LarryFM on October 20, 2009 at 4:27 am

Here’s a much larger picture of the South Loop’s original screen tower:

View link

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on September 6, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Was mentioned in the documentary “Drive-In Movie Memories” in 2001.

DonLewis
DonLewis on December 23, 2007 at 4:05 am

An old photo of the SOUTH LOOP @ this web site.

http://hometown.aol.com/dryvinlady/page1.html