330 W. 3rd Street,
5 people favorited this theater
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
News About This Theater
The Capitol Theatre, typical of most movie palaces, began life on December 25, 1920 with William Faversham in “The Man Who Lost Himself”. Operating as a mixed use vaudeville and movies theatre, it later began showing movies only.
On each side of the main floor auditorium, which originally seated 2,500, it featured alcoves containing a grand piano on one side and a harp on the other. It also had a working Wicks pipe organ, which was maintained by the Theatre Organ Society. One of the resident organists was Carol M. Allbee. On the walls in the lobby, foyer, and upstairs were paintings, which were retouched in the late-1960’s. By 1941 the Capitol Theatre was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary A.H. Blank.
In the early-1970’s, the theatre switched to Spanish language films. On May 18, 1978 it began screening XXX adult movies. During the 1980’s, it was also used as a Christian Center. From 1990 to 1994, it was a concert hall for country, jazz, and small touring acts, and then for local productions of ballet, community, and college theatre.
Recently, Scott Community College was endowed with the building that includes the Capitol Theatre. It was used as a non-profit rental hall for concerts, theatre, lectures, etc., but was closed in the Fall of 2010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.