1506 Douglas Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Opened April 15, 1922, the World Theater was one of Omaha’s finest examples of Beaux-Arts style, and was reputed to have the most beautiful exterior of any of the theaters designed by architect C. Howard Crane.
The main facade consisted of a five-part, glazed terra-cotta composition with elaborately articulated parts. Central to the composition were three-story round arched windows and iron mullions, railings, and blustraded sills. The windows were framed by four groups of coupled Corinthian columns, which supported an enriched frieze and cornice complete with dentils and modillions. A parapet wall with sculptured inserts and the inscribed words, World Theatre topped the structure. It was equipped with a $45,000 Hope-Jones Wurlitzer pipe organ.
The theater’s name was changed to the Omaha Theater on February 20, 1935, and despite considerable community effort to save it, it was closed February 26, 1978. The theater was demolished in 1980 to make way for a multi-story parking garage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater