428 Main Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Pantheon Theatre opened in May 15, 1921 and was designed by local architect John Bayard. Red Skelton who was born in Vincennes, Indiana performed here as a young comic and at one point he tried unsuccessfully to purchase this theatre. In December of 1939, Duke Ellington performed here and others to perform on its stage include The Marx Brothers, W.C. Fields and Spike Jones. The advertisements read “Continuous show today with a movie”. By 1944 it was operated by Alliance Theater Corp., who were still the operators in 1950. The Pantheon Theatre closed in 1961 and was converted into retail space. There are retail stores listed for this address today.
In May 2006, plans were announced to restore and eventually reopen the theatre. In December 2014 it was purchased by the Vincennes Business & Arts Initiative and the roof was replaced along with other repairs. In March 2016 they announced the building would become a shared workspace for local business’s, with training and conference facilities.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater