Holland Theater

100 South Main Street,
Old Forge, PA 18518

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Holland Theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Holland Theater was located at 100 S. Main Street in the town of Old Forge and was once part of the Comerford Theatres chain. It opened march 25, 1926. The theater still exists as the Word Fellowship Church today.

Contributed by Bobs

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

RJS on August 31, 2005 at 6:56 am

Here is a photo I took of the Holland Theater as it appears today. Took the photo August 2005. Seems to be well maintained as a church.

teecee on August 31, 2005 at 8:22 am

A Link organ was installed in this theater in 1925.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm

As can be seen in satellite view, this theater building is almost four times as long as it is wide. It fits the description of a proposed house at Old Forge, Pennsylvania, which was mentioned in the July 15, 1922, issue of The American Contractor:

“Theater (moving picture) & Offices & Stores (2): $50,000. 1 & 2 sty. 50x180. Old Forge. Archt. Leon Lempert, Cutler bldg., Rochester, N. Y. Owner withheld. Brk. & hollow tile. Drawing plans.”
The Holland Theatre looks like a smaller and simpler version of the Capitol Theatre at Rome, New York, which Leon Lempert designed a few years later. The item almost certainly refers to the Holland Theatre.

dallasmovietheaters on January 3, 2016 at 8:46 am

Old Forge had two theatres on Main Street: John M. Holland’s original Holland Theatre dating to at least 1913 and the Pilosi family’s Pilosi’s Theatre which dates back to at least 1915. Someone in Old Forge probably knows the answer but the Holland Theatre appears to originate as part of the Holland House operation. Plans are drawn up for a new facility in 1922 but construction occurs in 1925/6 with Comerford Circuit taking on the operation with the New Holland opening in the present-day Holland Building launching March 25, 1926. “Little Annie Rooney” was the first film. A Link pipe organ was the original instrument though later replaced. Management stayed in the family with the first manager Daniel Holland.

Pilosi’s Theatre was within Pilosi Building and continued as a silent operation until 1928 It played Paramount and Fox films before ceasing film exhibition deciding not to enter sound films. It was used for live events until the early 1930s and its use was discontinued. The Holland became Old Forge’s only movie theatre before also ceasing operation and becoming a church. Photos of Pilosi’s and the Holland are in the photos area.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater