2 people favorited this theater
The Rembrandt Cinema opened as an independent cinema on 3rd October 1938 with a double bill; Claudette Colbert in “Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife” and Don Terry in “Squadron of Honour”. The cinema, which was located on the main A240 Kingston Road, was actually in a residential area, next to the railway line, and had a cafe and a large free car park.
From 31st January 1943 it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) and they continued to operate it for many years. It was twinned in 1971 with 606 seats in the former circle and 152 in the former stalls area.
It was later re-named Cannon, then from 21st May 1993 it became the MGM. For its last few years of operation it reverted back to the ABC name. It closed on 23rd April 1998 with a well attended special screening in the large former circle cinema of “The Last Picture Show”. The building was demolished a year later and a housing development named ‘Rembrandt Court’ was built on the land.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater