714 -722 London Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Located in Hounslow, Middlesex, in what is today a district to the west of Greater London. The Dominion Cinema opened on 28th December 1931. It was a huge cine-variety theatre built for the independent London and Southern Super Cinemas circuit.
Designed in an Art Deco style that architect Frank Ernest Bromige would soon become known for, the seating was in the stalls 1,460 and a rather small circle that was placed well back in the auditorium that seated 562. The auditorium had the appearance that it was wider than it was long with a proscenium opening of 49 feet. There were four dressing rooms and the cinema was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2Manual/6Ranks organ that had previously been installed in the Alhambra Cinema, Berlin, Germany. There was also a cafe provided for the cinema patrons and local shoppers.
The Dominion Cinema was taken over by Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain in July 1937 but was never re-named Odeon. In fact it play mainly the Gaumont release due to the nearby Odeon (former Ambassador Cinema) already playing the Odeon release in Hounslow.
The final films shown at the Dominion Cinema were The Three Stooges and Carol Heiss in “Snow White and the Three Clowns” plus Laurel and Hardy in “Dancing Masters”, closing on 30th December 1961.
It was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club from March 1962 and remained in this use for the following 45 years. It closed as a Mecca Bingo Club on 27th February, 2007, after which the building was immediately demolished.
The site lay empty for over a year before low-cost housing was eventually constructed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater