484 London Road,
3 people favorited this theater
The Odeon Theatre opened on 20th March 1935 with Will Hay starring in “Dandy Dick”. It was the third Odeon Theatre that architect George Coles had designed for Oscar Deutsch and his blossoming Odeon Theatres circuit.
The Streamlined curved entrance block was Germanic in style and it look particulary striking at night when the original bands of neon tube lighting was switched on. The interior was adequate in a rather plain art deco style.
It was one of the early casualties if dwindling audiences due to TV and it closed on 5th January 1957 with Bob Hope in “That Certain Feeling” and Buster Crabbe in “Gun Brothers”.
The theatre was converted into a film studio with the auditorium basically stripped out of decoration. Known as Isleworth Studios, it concentraterd mainly on making advertisment films. By sheer luck, the name ‘Odeon’ could still be seen on the flank wall of the auditorium block for over 35 years since it ceased being a cinema, but it was removed around 1993.
The film studio moved out the building in 2001 and the auditorium block was demolished in May 2002. The front entrance block was retained, renovated and incorporated for an entrance into a new block of flats that was built on the site in 2003.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater