Paris Adult Theatre
2434 Summer Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Michael Cianciolo built the Luciann Theatre in 1939-1940, and his son Augustine ran the theatre. The Luciann Theatre is named after sisters Lucy Cianciolo and Ann Cianciolo Angelo. In 1958 it was closed and became a bowling alley.
Prior to the Luciann Theatre being built, in 1936 a Parkview Theatre was planned for the adjacent site, designed by architect R.B. Spencer for the Parkview Amuesment Co., but it was never built. The site became the parking lot for the Luciann Theatre. In later years a bank was built on that site.
In 1966, the Luciann Theatre became a nightclub named ‘The Party’, which was very popular with Memphis Sound artists and the public. The Luciann Theatre perhaps had the first lighted dance floor in the city.
In the early-1970’s it was sold to the Paris Adult Group, and for a number of years the concrete ‘Luciann’ name was covered by plywood. About one quarter of the auditorium was being used for adult films in 2011, with a few of the ‘venetian blind’ side lights still intact together with some architectural details. Therefore, technically, there is still one screen operating under the Paris Adult Group management.
The exterior is amazingly well preserved as opposed to many other former neighborhood theatres in Memphis. Another Cianciolo operation, the Rosemary Theatre, was named for the third daughter, Rosemary. It did not survive in the 1960’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater