107 N. Jackson Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Albany Theatre - Albany (Official)
Architects: Roy A. Benjamin
The Albany Theatre opened as “Southwest Georgia’s Magnificent Theatre” on September 12, 1927. Dedicated to “the pleasure loving public of South Georgia”, the Albany Theatre’s premiere program featured H. L. Tallman at the console of the three-manual Robert Morton pipe organ (Opus 2304), Ralph Barnes and his Albany Theatre Orchestra and, on the screen, Ronald Colman and Vilma Banky in “The Magic Flame”. The first director of this Adam-inspired style theatre was Homer W. McCallon.
The theatre made a successful adaptation to sound films. It was severely damaged by a tornado on February 10, 1940. Repairs were carried out and it remained Albany’s first-run theatre a few years prior to its closing in the 1970’s.
The theatre was purchased from the Farkas Estate by Oglethorpe Development Group, a minority enterprise which began underwriting a restoration of the theatre as a performing arts center.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.