Odeon Harlesden

Craven Park Road,
London, NW10 8SH

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Original Auditorium

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located in the west London inner city district of Harlesden. One of the original cinemas in the Oscar Deutsch Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain, the Odeon opened on 12th July 1937 with Hazel Ascot in “Talking Feet”.

Occupying a large corner site on Craven Park Road (possibly #79) and St. Albans Road, the facade was dominated by a large square tower feature faced in cream faiance tiles and edged in brick. The auditorium was rather plain with recessed troughs in the ceiling which contained concealed lighting. Seating was provided for 1,224 in the stalls and 495 in the circle.

The Odeon closed as a regular cinema on 15th April 1972 with Gene Hackman in “The French Connection”. It re-opened as an Asian cinema screening Bollywood films and was re-named the Liberty Cinema but this was a short lived venture and it became a rock concert venue called the Roxy Theatre (the rock group The Clash played here).

It’s last few years were as a nightclub called the Tara which had closed by 1986 and the building was left empty and derelict. It was demolished in August/September 1989 and after a period of time housing was built on the site, known as Odeon Court block of flats by February 1994.

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on December 19, 2005 at 3:28 am

An exterior view of the Odeon, taken in October 1949:
View link

Undated, but possibly around 1952:
View link

A closer view of the entrance and tower feature in Summer 1971:
View link

underdoguk
underdoguk on June 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm

The movie being shown is Captain from Castile is a historical adventure film released by 20th Century Fox in 1947

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater