Savoy Parade, Southbury Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Savoy Cinema was a luxury super cinema designed for a mixed use of cine-variety and was built for Independent operator Goide & Glassman. It opened on 28th October 1935 with Pual Lucas in “Age of Indiscretion” and Miriam Hopkins in “Becky Sharp”.
Designed in what could be descibed as a ‘classical’ Art Deco style by prolific cinema architect George Coles, seating was provided for just below 1,400 in stalls and just below 900 in the balcony. The Savoy Cinema was equipped with a working stage and orchestra pit, five dressing rooms and a Wurlitzer 2Maunual/7Rank theatre organ which was opened by Reginald New. There was also a large cafe/resaurant located on the balcony foyer level with windows overlooking the street and a free car park at the rear.
The Savoy Cinema was soon taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) from 24th February 1936. In 1962 it was re-named ABC and in 1966 the Wurlitzer organ was removed to the West Hallam Social Club in Derbyshire.
In April 1978 it was closed for conversion into a 4 screen cinema. Screen 1 was in the former balcony and had 620 seats, screen 2 was in the former front stalls area with 356 seats and screen 3 and 4 were two mini cinemas located under the balcony in the former rear stalls area and had seating for 217 and 140.
In April 1986 it became part of the Cannon Cinemas chain and was re-named Cannon. It was re-named ABC again in December 1996. It closed on 11th December 1997. The building was demolished in March 1998, to provide access to a new Tesco supermarket which was built on the former cinema car park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater