27th Avenue Drive-In

2780 NW 87th Street,
Miami, FL 33147

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

27th Avenue Drive-In marquee

Opened in 1950, Wometco Theatres 27th Avenue Drive-In was located on NW 87th Street. This drive in was quite unique in it’s day, being the only drive-in in Miami that had air conditioning. Other than the air-conditioning, there was nothing special about this theatre. It was closed in 1986. The screen was demolished in 2001.

Contributed by Louis Jimenez

Recent comments (view all 17 comments)

spiderman2000s
spiderman2000s on May 27, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Near Miami Dade Community College North Campus, anybody know the name of the drive in theatre between NW 119 St and NW 135 St on NW 27 th Ave? I remember it was a XXX Adult drive in theatre then became an Used Car lot in the 80’s.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on May 27, 2008 at 12:32 pm

There was a Turnpike Drive-In at 127th Street.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on August 16, 2008 at 4:40 pm

The Wometco 27th Avenue Drive-in was one of the longest lasting in South Florida. It was already open by 1957 and closed in 1986, outlasted by the Tropicaire and Turnpike.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 12, 2009 at 11:34 am

Here is a 1980 aerial photo. It looks like they are using the space for retail now.
http://tinyurl.com/y8wg7gz

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on June 1, 2010 at 10:41 am

Wow an air conditioned drive-in what will they think of next.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 1, 2010 at 2:12 pm

We had one here the WEIS DRIVE-in in car heat and A.C.. on CT.

NYozoner
NYozoner on January 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Here is a 1969 high resolution close-up photo of the drive-in, courtesy of Earth Explorer and USGS.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on July 9, 2011 at 5:27 am

Owned by the Wilden Corp. in 1956.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on September 11, 2011 at 8:16 am

Not exactly the ideal way to make the front page.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=9dQmAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qwIGAAAAIBAJ&pg=2214%2C9846

davidcoppock
davidcoppock on October 21, 2018 at 12:26 am

Opened in 1950 and closed in 1986. Screen demolished in 2001. Site is now municipality facilities.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater