Metro Big Cinema
Mahatma Gandhi Road, Dhobitalao Junction,
2 people favorited this theater
Located in the Dhobitalao Junction district, south of downtown Bombay (now Mumbai). The Metro Cinema opened on 8th June 1938. It was built for Metro Goldwyn Mayer and was designed by noted American theatre architect Thomas W. Lamb, with assistance from local Bombay architect David William Ditchburn, a senior partner in the architectural firm Ditchburn, Mistry & Bhedwar.
Seating was provided for 1,491 in orchestra and balcony levels, amid Art Deco style splendour. For many years, the Metro Cinema was the premiere cinema of Bombay, and of course played mainly MGM films.
In later years it began screening Bollywood films and was closed in 2005.
It came under new ownership and the facade & foyers were renovated to their 1930’s splendour. The auditorium was sub-divided into six large luxury screens and re-opened in 2006 as the Metro Adlabs Cinema. From 28th October 2008, it was re-branded Metro Big Cinema, together with all the cinemas in the Adlabs group.
Films are screened in their original languages and programming consists of first run Western films plus Indian Bollywood films.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater