Booth Theatre

119 W. Myrtle Street,
Independence, KS 67301

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 6 comments

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 11, 2014 at 2:08 pm

The Booth Theatre was opened by Glen Dickinson Enterprises on February 4, 1927. The February 7 edition of the Neosho Daily Democrat, Neosho, Missouri, reported that Hugh Gardner, operator of Neosho’s Orpheum Theatre, had been among the people attending the opening.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

In 1939, the Booth Theatre became part of the Griffith-Dickinson theater chain. The company was in the process of remodeling and renovating many of its theaters, with plans for all the projects being done by the Dallas architectural firm Corgan & Moore. According to the August 19, 1939, issue of Boxoffice, the Booth Theatre was one of the former Dickinson houses that the newly combined circuit was updating.

The new marquee added as part of the project, seen at top right on this page of Boxoffice, appears to be the one still on the building.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

A PDF file of the NRHP nomination form for the Booth Theatre can be downloaded from this link. An interesting revelation in the document is that Lee DeCamp was the supervising architect on the Boller Brothers' Booth Theatre project.

DeCamp’s connection with the Bollers apparently went back to at least 1911, when one or both of the Bollers probably supervised the construction of the Empress Theatre in Kansas City that DeCamp designed for the Sullivan & Considine circuit. When Robert Boller went to Los Angeles later that year, it was to work on projects for Sullivan & Considine. It’s possible that Boller and DeCamp were associated on some other projects over the next few years, until the Sullivan & Considine circuit collapsed, and Robert Boller returned to Kansas City by 1915.

DonLewis
DonLewis on December 30, 2010 at 10:29 pm

From 2010 photo of the Indepencence Theatre in Independence. [Please click on thumbnails for larger view].

kpdennis
kpdennis on April 25, 2009 at 2:21 am

Here’s the Booth in 1997:
View link