Ardwick Picture Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on 24th December 1910 as the Victoria Picture Theatre it had a seating capacity of 1,075, all on a single floor. It was located on the corner of Hyde Road and Stockport Road at Ardwick Green.
In 1920 it was altered with a circle seating 425 added, increasing the seating capacity to 1,500. It re-opened as the Ardwick Picture Theatre with the D.W. Griffith production "The Greatest Question" and was advertised in the press as ‘Manchester’s largest and finest cinema’.
From 1st July 1929 it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC). On the night of 11th March 1941 the cinema received a direct hit by German Luftwaffe bombs and the building was set on fire. The film playing that week was Gary Cooper in "The Westerner". The bombing also did some damage to the dance hall of the adjacent Apollo Theatre. Damage to the Ardwick Picture Theatre was so bad that that it had to be demolished and to-date, nothing has been built on the site which is now used as a car park for the adjacent Apollo Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater