36 Silver Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Essoldo Circuit (Contol) Ltd.
Previous Names: Palace Theatre of Varieties, New Palace Theatre, Palace Theatre
The Palace Theatre of Varieties opened on 28th August 1911. The original architects were the Birmingham based firm of Ward and Ball and it was equipped with a 30ft deep stage, the proscenium opening was 30ft wide and there were 8 dressing rooms. Seating was provided in orchestra stalls and two balcony levels. It was screening films as part of the variety bill by 1914 and was called the New Palace Theatre.
In September 1920 it was closed for the installation of new projection equipment and alterations to building. It re-opened on 19th October 1920 as a full time cinema.
A Western Electric(WE) sound system was installed in 1930 and it reopened as a ‘talkie’ cinema with the musical “Chasing Rainbows” starring Bessie Love & Charles King. Now known as the Palace Theatre it continued for many years and in 1937 was modernised by the architectural firm of Chadwick & Watson. From January 1947 it was taken over (together with the Grand Theatre, Doncaster) by the Essoldo chain of cinemas and the seating capacity was reduced to 1,240 by closing off the upper balcony. The Palace Theatre was re-named Essoldo in November 1947. On 14th June 1954 it became the first cinema in the town to have CinemaScope and Stereophonic sound installed and the opening film in this new wide-screen medium was "Flight of the White Heron" a documentary about a recent Royal Tour. The Essoldo closed on 24th November 1962 and was later demolished.
A Top Rank Suite, bowling alley, restaurant/bar and offices named Silver House for the Yorkshire Electricity Showrooms was built on the site. The Top Rank Suite has undergone several name changes over the years:Rotters, Elektrik Avenue, Ritzy, Visage and Trilogy. In late-2015 it re-opened as the 3,000 capacity Kooky nightclub.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.