Erie Boulevard East,
1 person favorited this theater
Loews was the last operator of the deluxe Cinema East, a huge cinder block building housing a giant screen and just under 1200 seats. The theater opened in the early 60’s, and was first operated by Carroll’s Development Corporation, which later became CinemaNational. USA Cinemas took over in 1987, then Loews in 1988. The theater closed around 1991 and was demolished.
In it’s last years, the ceiling tiles in the auditorium were removed because of the leaking roof. Tiles were falling on people as they watched films. This did wonders for the sound. The theater featured a huge lobby with elegant appointments and was one of Syracuse’s deluxe presentation houses for many years.
Next door, Carroll’s built the first of their prototype, fully-automated, manager-operator theaters, called the Mini One. Later, it became known as the Cinema East 2. So the area at one time held three adjacent theaters—Cinema East, Mini One, and Dewitt Drive-In. All have been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater