408 N. Chaparral Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Centre finished construction in December, 1941, and was immediately acclaimed as one of the finest of the numerous Southwest cinemas designed by architect Jack Corgan.
Here is a description from the 1942 Film Daily Year Book: "The frontage of unsymmetrical design is dominated by a tower with a large center panel of illuminated, rose-tinted Vitrolux glass, divided into 24" squares by aluminum settings. The marquee and four line interchangeable letterboard is vividly illuminated with mult-colored tubing forming a flowing design toward the center. The large, spacious foyer is indirectly illuminated with neon. The walls covered with Avodire Flexwood Veneer give a rich, warm atmosphere. Aluminum display frames are recessed in the walls at various places. Standee area with restrooms off each end has the walls spaciously done in striped peach Sanitas washable cloth. The ceiling is in canary yellow and illuminated with three circular recessed light coves.
Mezzanine is divided in two levels with a rail dividing the upper level and overlooking the lower level. The walls and ceilings are treated in a similar manner as the standee area. The auditiorium is funnel-shaped toward the stage, and walls and ceiling step down in sections. Each section is broken by a light cove. The wall coves have dim house lighting and the ceiling coves bright house lighting. At each cove, a flowered baroque design in turquoise blue is worked in on the coral acoustic plaster background in a pleasing colorful effect. The entire theatre is done in a simple modern style, with colors, lighting, comfort, and convenience being given foremost thought."
More information about the Centre’s operating history and the current status of the site is needed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater