125 W. Jefferson Boulevard,
8 people favorited this theater
The largest of Fort Wayne’s movie palaces, the Emboyd Theatre, opened on May 14, 1928 with Richard Dix in “Easy Come, Easy Go” plus vaudeville on the stage and Wilbur Pickett’s Emboyd Concert Orchestra in the pit. The 4 manual, 16 ranks Grande Page organ was opened by organist Percy Robbins. It had a seating capacity of 2,970. It was renamed the Embassy Theatre in 1952. After twenty more years of struggling, the theatre could no longer operate on movies alone and closed.
In 1972, the Embassy Theatre Foundation purchased the theatre to save it from demolition and conversion into a parking lot. The theatre was finally renovated in the early-1990’s for stage shows and returned to its original shine. It reopened in 1996 as a performing arts center and venue for Broadway shows. The Grande Page organ was restored in the summer of 1997 and console was restored in 2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater