314 S. Main Street,
7 people favorited this theater
Opened as the Panorama Theater. It became the Adolphus Theater, preenting vaudeville from November 27, 1911 when it was taken over by Adolph Ramash after alterations had been made to the plans of architectural firm Mayberry & Parker. Seating was provided for 1,450, all on a single level together with 12 seats in each of the single boxes located at the side of the proscenium. The stage was 50ft deep. It was the largest of the theatres on S. Main Street in the downtown area of Los Angeles. In 1913 a 700-seat balcony was added, with plans provided by architect Otto Janssen and it reopened as the Hippodrome Theater on August 31, 1913 with 10 acts of vaudeville. Movies were soon added to the programme and it eventually became a full-time movie theatre.
After closing, the auditorium was demolished in September & October 1952 and the space used for parking. The front of the building remained for many years, housing a gymnasium. It, too, has been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater