New Zealand Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
The Regal Cinema opened on 26th March 1938. It was built for Lou Morris and was almost identical to his Regal Cinema, Bridlington, East Yorkshire. In fact the same architect, Leicester based C. Edmund Wilford, designed both Regal’s. The Regal Cinema, Walton-on-Thames had seating in stalls and circle levels and there were large decorated panels on the side-walls flanking the proscenium which were the work of interior designers Mollo & Egan. A wide decorative band ran down the length of the ceiling which contained backlit panels. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/8Rank plus Melotone theatre organ which had an iluminated console on a lift in the orchestra pit. It had a 45 feet wide proscenium, a stage 20 feet deep and three dressing rooms. There was also a cafe for the convenience of patrons.
The Regal Cinema, Walton-on-Thames also followed a similar history to the Regal Cinema, Bridlington and was taken over by Arthur Cohen’s Mayfair Circuit in around 1941 and from 30th August 1943 was sold to Associated British Cinemas(ABC).
The Regal, Walton-on-Thames was re-named ABC in 1963 and was closed on 11th December 1971. It was later demolished and shops were built on the site.
(The Regal Cinema, Bridlington still exists today, in use as a Gala Bingo Club.)
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater