1 person favorited this theater
Located on the corner of Murray Road and Upton Street in Workington. Probably Cumbria’s most luxurious cinema, the Ritz Cinema opened on 26th September 1938 with Deanna Durbin in “Mad About Music”, with seating for 1,400 in stalls and balcony. It was designed by local architect Tom Nicholson and had a foyer lined with Australian Walnut panelling and chrome fittings. The auditorium had troughs containing concealed lighting in the ceiling. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 3Manual/5Rank organ which had an illuminated console on a lift. The organ was opened by Harry Croft. The instrument was originally installed in the Niles Theatre, New Ulm, Minnesota, USA.
Operated throughout its life by Graves Cinemas Ltd., the Ritz Cinema was tripled by them and reopened on 17th May 1982 with two mini-cinemas situated under the balcony. The circle continued as Screen 1 with no apparent alteration, using the original projection box and screen.
However in a small town this still proved too large and the Ritz Cinema closed on 28th February 1988 and was demolished the following month. A good send off was provided with the 1945 film Gene Kelly in “Anchors Aweigh” and a short stage interlude. The organ had been removed some years earlier, has been restored and is in private hands. Other Art Deco style artefacts were rescued from the building before the wrecking crew moved in.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater