453 Northampton Street,
7 people favorited this theater
The Northampton National Bank was built in 1873. It had a granite facade and foyer, which were retained when the bank was demolished in 1910 and the Neumeyer Theatre was built. It was screening movies by 1914, and around 1916 it was renamed Northampton Theatre. It was later renamed Colonial Theatre and had 725-seats and was operated by Wilmer & Vincent Corp.
In 1926 architect William Harold Lee was commisioned to drew up plans for a new larger theatre, which opened as the State Theatre on March 8, 1927 with 1,824-seats. Lee was inspired by the architecture of ‘Old Spain’ and by the Davanzanti Palace in Florence, Italy and the theatre had elaborate frescoes & guilding. In the 1960’s the foyer was repainted brown & blue which covered over the frescoes in this part of the theatre. In the 1970’s it was in use as rock music venue. It now features live concerts and stage shows and occasional ‘Classic’ movies.
The State Theatre is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater