Hippodrome Picture Palace
169 Peckham High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the south-east London district of Peckham. The Crown Theatre opened on 31st October 1898 as a music hall theatre. It had an impressive facade, which was in a French Renaissance style. Inside the Grand Circle foyer were painted panels representing the Colonies. The theatre had a 35 feet wide proscenium opening, a 28 feet deep stage and a fully fitted fly-tower.
It was soon re-named Peckham Hippodrome Theatre, becoming a variety theatre and came under the management of Walter Gibbons Circuit. In July 1911, it became a full time cinema, known as the Hippodrome Picture Palace. Taken over by the Biocolour Picture Theatres circuit, they were taken over by Gaumont British Theatres in November 1926. Plans were announced that a new cinema was to be built on the site and the Hippodrome Picture Palace was closed in December 1928, ready for demolition.
The Gaumont Palace Cinema was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater