South Park Drive-In
5187 Library Road,
7 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Cinemette Corporation of America
Previous Names: Drive-In
The Drive-In was opened August 27, 1940 with Adolphe Menjou in “The Housekeeper’s Daughter”. It was located on Route 88/Library Road in Bethel Park, just before the entrance to South Park. It was renamed South Park Drive-In in 1947.
Since the movie screen faced the road, a curtain was built on the road shoulder to prevent passing pedestrians and cars from free view of the movies. This was later replaced with a green sheet metal fence.
The South Park Drive-In remained open all year round for most of its years. It was closed on 28th August 1985. On September 1, 1985, Pittsburgh’s very first drive-in came to a very wild end. It was estimated that approximately 2,000 people showed up by car and foot. The crowd didn’t even wait for the start of the last feature before they started tearing out the speakers and parts of the screen for memorabilia.
By the next morning, the drive-in looked like it had gone through two twisters. Today, the site where the South Park Drive-In once stood was occupied by a Taco Bell restaurant (now an Arby’s) and office building complex, South Park Commons.
There are no traces or indications that a drive-in even existed there, only the memories remain.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.