Shubert Theatre

Joplin Avenue & 7th Street,
Joplin, MO 64801

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

Since Joplin’s Shubert Theatre style and layout so closely resemble that of the Busby Theatre in McAlester, OK, it is quite possible both theatre designs came from the same architect.

Following descriptive passages come courtesy of Joe Vogel. ‘The New Joplin Theatre opened as the Shubert Theatre in 1908. None of the pictures of it at the University web site give the address, but the description pages say that it was demolished in 1940, that it was replaced by businesses catering to traffic along Route 66 (which ran along 7th Street) and that its site is now a parking lot for the Memorial Auditorium.

The Shubert Theatre must have been on Joplin Avenue at the southwest corner of 7th Street. I don’t know if the New Joplin Theatre ever ran movies on a regular basis, but it did present Griffith’s "The Birth of a Nation" in 1915.'

Contributed by Jeff Chapman

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

raybradley
raybradley on September 21, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Shown here is a vintage postcard image of the Shubert Theatre.
View link

raybradley
raybradley on September 21, 2009 at 7:00 pm

These multiple Shubert Theatre postcard views seem to span various time periods. Also included is the Club Theatre.
View link

raybradley
raybradley on September 21, 2009 at 7:17 pm

This information comes from the description supplied with the postcards.

“They [Shubert Bros] hired Joplin architect Austin Allen to design the building and supervise its construction.
At the Shubert’s grand opening on January 20, 1908, "one of the greatest theatrical nights” in Joplin history, patrons paid $10 a seat to watch “Maria of the Lowlands,” starring Bertha Kalich, an outstanding actress of the period. After that evening, the Shubert beat the competition hands down, siphoning away business from the venerable Club Theatre.
Local newspapers gushed about the ambiance and amenities of the new playhouse, where “quiet, rich elegance pervades” in the green, gold, and ivory decorations. A huge canopy of glass, steel, and burnished copper over the three double doors made for a grand entrance sheltered from the weather. The 40 x 80 feet stage accommodated just about any production imaginable. Joplin’s well-heeled citizens could reserve special box seating in the orchestra and first balcony; the auditorium seated 1,520 on its main floor and two balconies. Visiting performers appreciated the fifteen posh dressing rooms, each equipped with electricity, hot and cold water, and handsome mirrors. "

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on September 22, 2009 at 6:58 pm

These two houses are similar in design, but list different architects.
http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/12455.html

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater