Cinema V - Salle Hermes
5560 Rue Sherbrooke Ouste,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Alcide Chausse
Previous Names: Empress Theatre, Home of Blue Movies
News About This Theater
- Feb 22, 2011 — Empress theatre to be reopened as a art cinema in Montréal
Opened on 19th May 1928, the Empress Theatre was taken over by Confederated Amusement in 1959 and was later bought out by United Theatres. It was designed in an Egyptian style (the only one in Canada) by architect Alcide Chausse and the splendid Egyptian interior was the work of interior designer Emmanuel Briffe.
In 1962, the theater stopped showing movies and it became a cabaret called the Royal Follies. In 1968, the theater was plained down and divided along the balcony and became the Cinema V playing first-run movies and Salle Hermes playing foreign movies.
In 1974, the theater briefly changed its name to The Home of Blue Movies.
In 1975, the policy changed to repertory and became the Montreal home of the cult classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".
Famous Players took over on June 17, 1988. Sadly, a fire damaged and closed the theater in 1992 and it never reopened again. Over the years several plans have been promoted to restore and reopen the theatre, but all have come to nothing.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.