Chung On Street, Tsuen Wan, New Territories,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Grand Theatre was situated in Tsuen Wan in the New Territories.
The theatre opened to business in 1950, and its 950-seat stalls only auditorium was on the ground floor of the theatre building.
It showed selected films at reduced prices in the then rural Tsuen Wan.
On 26th March, 1954, the auditorium was used as a temporary shelter for the girls and women displaced by a factory fire in Tsuen Wan.
The theatre was used as a venue on 10th October 1959 for the celebration of the 48th anniversary of the Republic of China.
There was an explosion in the toilet of the auditorium on 25th July, and no audience was injured.
The theatre re-opened on 19th April 1969 under a new management after renovation.
In the 1980’s and 1990’s, first run films were shown.
In April 1988, the theatre building was sold for $235,000,000 Hong Kong Dollars.
The theatre closed on 1st October, 1988 with an adult film.
A high-rise entertainment building with two mini cinemas were built on the site of the theatre. The new Grand Theatre with two auditoriums opened on 25th July, 1991. The corridor-like lobby was on rhe ground floor of the entertainment building, with lifts connected with the foyer of the auditoriums on
the 5th and 6th floor of the building.
The theatre showed first run films,and closed in 1999.
The two auditoriums were coverted into a karaok lounge.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater