El Campanil Theatre
602 W. Second Street,
5 people favorited this theater
El Campanil Theatre Preservation Foundation (Official)
When it opened in 1928, the El Campanil Theatre served as a venue for both vaudeville and movies. It was built at a cost of $500,000. Among the performers to appear at the theater were Roy Rogers, Mary Pickford, Sally Rand, and Donald O'Connor.
Its Spanish Colonial/Spanish Gothic style facade was unusual because as the theater’s name suggests, it had three archways, each with a bell inside it, with the largest arch and bell being in the middle over the main entrance, three stories up. The auditorium still has its original ornate painting and Moorish chandeliers and wall sconces. The dressing rooms are adorned with hundreds of autographs that date back to the theater’s opening.
After decades serving as a movie house, the Campanil closed, but later was reopened, serving as a church. The theater was purchased by a non-profit foundation in 2003.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.