UCI Kinowelt Colosseum
SchÃ¶nhauser Allee 123, Prenzlauer Berg,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally built as a warehouse, noted cinema architect Fritz Wilms converted the building into the Colosseum Kino. It had a Greek Classical style facade, with a pediment over the Ionic-columned entrance. Inside the auditorium was in a Classical style. It opened on 9th December 1924 with Ossi Oswalda in “Colibri”. It had a seating capacity of 1,350, all on one level and space for 30 musicians in the orchestra pit.
The Colosseum was re-modeled in 1930 when UFA took control of the cinema, and they emplyed an architect named Teschenmacher to give the building a modern Art Deco style appearance both inside and out.
After World War II it served temporarily as a stage theatre from 1945 until 1957. In 1957 it reopened as the GDR’s premiere cinema in East Berlin. Operated by Defa Films, they employed architect F. Wildner and A. Lemke to modernise the cinema. It now had a dark ceiling in the auditorium, with twinkling lights representing stars.
In the mid-1990’s, when CinemaxX took control, they redeveloped a former tram shed at the rear (originally built in 1894) and created a 9-screen multiplex. The main Kino 1 still keeps the original size of the former Colosseum Kino.
The cinema is currently part of the UCI Kinowelt circuit.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater