Hong Kong Theatre
Queen's Road Central,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Hong Kong Theatre was situated in the Central district on the Hong Kong Island.
The theatre was converted from the former Land Office Building known as the Red House in Queen’s Road Central.
An article published by the Hong Kong Telegraph on 2nd September, 1916 said that:"The new Hong Kong Cinematograph—formerly the Land Office—in Queen’s Road Central opens tonight with a good all-round programme. Last night complimentary tickets were issued for a private view and the place was crowded. As a test performance last night’s show was most useful, for it proved that the architects had done their work well and that the arrangements in general were of an entirely satisfactory order. We understand that the management contemplates one or two slight improvements in connection with the dress circle, but, as a whole, everything was most highly satisfactory. A good band was in attendance, under the conductorship of Mr.Gonzales, and a very interesting musical programme was gone through. The picture programme was a long one and included a Gaumont dramatic film in four parts "The Gipsy Child," and a couple of Keystone comics. The screen is a large one and the pictures are remarkably clear, while the fans are arranged so that all parts of the house are cool. Seating accommodation is particularly good, and the new house of entertainment should certainly do good business in Hong Kong."
It opened to business on 2nd September, 1916, and claimed to be "the palace picture house" and "the most comfortable theatre" in the Colony.
The theatre closed on 4th April, 1922, and the Queen’s Theatre was built on the site of the former Land Office.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater