1 person favorited this theater
According to the Standard "Strauss Magazine Theatre Program" from 1916, the theatre was “located on the south-west corner of Broadway and W. 90th Street, it is the first theatre for the presentation of high class dramas and musical productions in this locality. The carriage entrance is on the W. 90th Street side. The theatre is planned to seat 1,493 persons, and is designed in the period of the Italian Renaissance. The decorations are simple and the color scheme is restful, refined and dignified. The side walls have a rich wood wainscoting, both in the orchestra and balcony. The plaster work above as well as the wainscot are painted in warm greys of varying shades, the panels being picked out in gold. The remainder of the ornamental work, including the proscenium architrave, the ceiling panels and ornamental doorheads of the exits are of dull gold. A mural painting is placed in the sounding board, entitled "The Triumph of Dramatic Arts."
This Thomas Lamb-designed theatre opened in 1914, and became a movie house in 1919. The name of the theatre was changed at that time from the Standard Theatre to the Stoddard Theatre. It was Brandt’s Stoddard Theatre when it closed in 1956. The former theatre was converted into a supermarket, and was demolished in 1986.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater