No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regent Cinema was located at the corner of Frankfort Street and Cambridge Street. It opened on 21st November 1931 with Charlie Chaplin in "City Lights". Built for an independent operator, it was later taken over by the County Cinemas chain, who in June 1940, were taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd., and re-named Odeon.
Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels, and the decoration was in a lavish Art Deco style. During World War II, Glenn Miller & his Orchestra gave concerts for American servicemen based nearby, and in May 1944, General Montgomery used the building to talk to troops stationed in the area. The Odeon managed to survive the damaged caused by German bombs in the city.
Last operated by the Rank Organisation, the Odeon was closed on 8th September 1962 with Shirley MacLaine and Audrey Hepburn in "The Loudest Whisper". It was demolished for redevelopment of the area, and the Odeon name was transfered to the former Gaumont Cinema in Union Street.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater