308 Shields Road,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
2 people favorited this theater
Located in the Byker district of Newcastle upon Tyne. The Regal Cinema was built for George Black and became one of the Black’s Regal chain of cinemas, and opened on 3rd September 1934 with William Powell and Bette Davis in “Fashions of 1934” plus a stage show.
Designed by Newcastle architect Edwin M. Lawson in an Art Deco style, building was located on a corner site, and was domindated by a tall square tower. Seating in the auditorium was provided for 1,152 in the stalls and 525 in the circle. The cinema was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/6Ranks organ which was opened by organist J. Arnold Eagle.
The Regal Cinema was taken over by Circuit Management Association(CMA) later the Rank Organisation and re-named Odeon on 14th November 1955. The Compton organ was removed from the building in 1969, and was shipped to the Spanish island of Majorca. The Odeon was closed on 11th November 1972 with Robert Redford in "How To Steal a Diamond"(aka"The Hot Rock").
The building stood empty and unused for many years, as a bingo club licence was applied for, and refused. In 1982, it was gutted internally and converted into a supermarket, known as the Byker Superstore. This was a short lived venture, and it was closed and the building was demolished in early-1987. A Shell petrol station was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater