Etowah Arts Cinema

418 5th Avenue,
Attalla, AL 35954

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Etowah Theatre

The Etowah Theatre was opened by Martin Theatres in the early-1950’s. It later became a typical X-rated theatre which on Jan 8 1970 was playing "Chicago Kid". Located near Gadsden, Alabama in Attalla.

Contributed by MikeRogers

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on April 20, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Jan 4 1955 has “SARACEN BLADE” playing.40 cents and 15 cents to see it.

Mike Goodson
Mike Goodson on February 24, 2013 at 1:02 am

The Etowah Theatre was a beautiful theater in its hey days of the 1950s and 1960s. This photo is the way it looks now after it has stood abandoned for years.

dixonwh
dixonwh on September 22, 2013 at 6:16 am

Cecil Quarles, best known for owning and operating the longtime Piedmont Drive-In, co-owned this one when it played second run general release fare. Despite the second run nature of the Etowah, in 1965 he managed to outbid the larger first run theater in Gadsden, the Pitman, for the exclusive rights to show “The Sound of Music” in the area. It was this theater’s biggest hit ever.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 19, 2014 at 1:09 am

This cached page for a National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, has some information about the Etowah Theatre which was built in 1948 according to that document.

  1. Etowah Theatre

Two-story brick veneer Art Moderne style motion picture theatre with a monopitch roof concealed at its facade and side elevations by stepped parapets; faces east, rectangular, freestanding; storefront with modern brick infill (ca. 1980} with double leaf doors at its center bays and cast stone decorative panels at its outer bays, full-width metal sign above storefront; upper level has a slightly elevated central area covered with white stone veneer with an inset lower panel of gray stone with 4 infilled windows, outer bays have similar gray stone veneer with a vertical row of 3 low-relief panels in each bay; exposed brick exterior side and rear exterior walls; interior has been gutted and only the roof trusses remain.

Industrial production in the area grew during World War II and Attalla’s population again rose sharply between 1940 and 1952, from 4,585 to 7,537. The Etowah Theatre was constructed in 1948 and replaced the older Liberty Theatre at 430 4th Street NW. Industrial production gradually declined after the war, as did the city’s strategic value as a rail center. As a result, Attalla has now largely become a smaller bedroom community to the nearby larger city of Gadsden.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater