Old Market Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Bristol city centre. The former King’s Hall was converted into the King’s Cinema in 1911. In July 1920, it was closed for modernisation with a new facade and internal decorations, becoming one of Bristol’s most luxurious cinemas when it re-opened in May 1921.
There was a fire on 26th March 1926, and repairs were carried out, to re-open on 4th September 1926. In 1927 it was taken over by the J.F. Emery Circuit. On 11th March 1929, it was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. The King’s Cinema became the first in Bristol to screen sound films, when "The Singing Fool" srarring Al Jolson played four performances a day, for five weeks. Further modernisations were carried out in 1931, and the King’s Cinema became the main ABC cinema in the city.
The King’s Cinema was closed by ABC on 4th December 1976 with the (X) certificate double bill; "Hot Dreams" and "Man Hungry". The cinema stood empty for a while, and was demolished in December 1981 for an office block named King’s House to be built on the site, located on the corner of Old Market Street and Bond Street at Old Market Roundabout.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater