1 person favorited this theater
Located in the potteries town of Hanley, Staffordshire. Originally opened in 1880 as the Royal Alexandra Music Hall, by 1892, it had been re-named Gaiety Theatre. In 1890 it was known as the Empire Theatre and was re-built to the plans of noted theatre architect Frank Matcham in 1898 when it was known as the King’s Palace Theatre. Extended in 1901, to the plans of a Mr Brearley it became the Kings Theatre.
Films were screened as part of the programme in the early days, and for a while it was known as Moore & Kennedy’s Picture Hall and was closed in 1921.
Alterations were carried out by a Mt Grant, and it became the Capitol Cinema from August 1925 with the film "Kalora-the Belle of the Orient". It had rear projection from a projection box located on the 18 feet deep stage.
Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain took over on 9th December 1929. A new projection box was built at the rear of the auditorium. Now with a seating capacity of 1,238, it boasted a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.
The Capitol Cinema was closed on 24th August 1963 with John Wayne in "Donovan’s Reef". ABC had opened their new ABC Cine-Bowl the previous day.
It was demolished and a branch of Marks & Spencer’s was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater