6 Commercial Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Odeon was one of the original cinemas in the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. It opened on 17th April 1937 with Will Hay in "Good Morning Boys". The stone facade was in a Classical style to blend in with the town’s historic buildings. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided for 788 in the stalls and 345 in the circle. There were decorative arched features on the splay walls each side of the proscenium, and above the proscenium in the ceiling were five long ‘tongues’ which stretched out over the front stalls seating area, that contained concealed lighting. The Odeon had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.
The Odeon was taken over by the independent Brent Walker Organisation on 26th October 1975, and was re-named Focus Cinema. It was taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain on 3rd June 1983, and re-named Classic. This did not last long, and the Classic was closed on 1st March 1984, with Dan Ackroyd in “Trading Places”. It was demolished in 1985, and the site redeveloped with shops.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater