Ulster Performing Arts Center

601 Broadway,
Kingston, NY 12401

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 4 comments

valbright
valbright on April 26, 2013 at 1:30 am

The Commmunity Theater initially closed in 1977 following a showing of the movie “Earthquake” because the “Sensearound” speaker system used for that movie caused cracks in the balcony. The story was reported by the Kingston Daily Freeman.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 21, 2011 at 10:19 am

Photos showing the Community Theatre as it was remodeled in 1953 can be seen on this page of Boxoffice, October 22, 1955.

stevennewyork
stevennewyork on December 18, 2007 at 5:44 pm

From their website at www.upac.org

The History of the Broadway Theater

The Broadway Theater first opened in 1927 as a movie palace/vaudeville house designed by the famed New York City architect, Douglas P. Hall. Purchased in 1947 by the Walter Reade Organization, the Broadway soon became a first run movie house. A 1953 ìfaceliftî called for removal of the grand chandelier, replacement of the 1927 marquee and blade sign with an imposing neoclassical portico, and a new name — the Community Theater. But by 1977, the flight of business and entertainment from the downtown to suburban malls caused Walter Reade to close the theater, and it was slated for demolition. The theater was saved from demolition by three inspired and dedicated co-partners: Norm Rafalowsky, Helen Newcombe and C. Lincoln Christensen, who also served as the first President of UPAC’s board. Through the efforts of these three and a group of concerned citizens the Broadway was rescued, purchased, and reopened as the Ulster Performing Arts Center. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 as one of the last great show palaces in New York State . Sixteen years later, revitalization was mounted to produce a $ 1.7 million interior renovation to ready the theater for its 75th Anniversary in 2002. In 2006 Poughkeepsie’s Bardavon Opera House took over the management of UPAC and in 2007 UPAC officially merged with the Bardavon. Today, the Ulster Performing Arts Center’s historic Broadway Theater has emerged once again as a premier performing arts venue of the Hudson Valley , open year-round to present a diverse season of superb productions, including national and international headliners in music, dance, theater and more. With a 1500-seat capacity, it remains the largest proscenium theater between Manhattan and Albany.

EMarkisch
EMarkisch on June 20, 2005 at 8:11 pm

Between 1953 and 1977, the UPAC / Broadway Theater was known as the Community Theater. During this period, it was owned and operated by Walter Reade Organization.